How To Get A Nonimmigrant U.S. VISA

You can chose from the following Nonimmigrant U.S. Visas Categories.

  1. Tourism & Visit
  2. Business
  3. Employment
  4. Study & Exchange
  5. Other Visa Categories

Please select one of the categories above. Then find further information on what requirements have to be fulfilled in order to obtain a nonimmigrant US Visa.

How to obtain a Visitor Visa as a Tourism (B2)?

The first US Visa Category that falls under a nonimmigrant visa, is called Tourism and Visit. This Category contains the Letter B. That being said. When you plan to fly to the U.S. and it’s for vacation or a short visit, you need to obtain a Tourism & Visit Visa.

Even if you are just visiting the US for medical treatment, or to see friends or family. The only exception is entries qualifying under the VISA Waiver Program. And in this case, you need a so-called ESTA Approval.

Exceptions are Citizens of Bermuda and Canada.

How to obtain a U.S. Business Visa (B1)?

If you are planning to travel to the United States for your business, then you do need a Visitor Business Visa (B1). Exceptions are entries that do qualify for a Visa Waiver Program. The B2 Visa allows you to

  • Attend conferences and conventions
  • negotiate deals and contracts
  • meet with business associates
  • settle estates

How to Apply for a Business/B1 or Tourism/B2 Visa?

  • Complete the Nonimmigrant Visa Application Online
  • Form DS-160
  • Upload your Photo – Check the Photo Requirements
  • Schedule an Interview at the U.S. Embassy of your Home Country
  • Attend your Visa Interview

What are the requirements to get an Employment-Based U.S. Visa?

  1. Labor certification approval from the Department of Labor
  2. Employer files an Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker, Form I-140
  3. Selection from E1Preference
    [Persons with extraordinary ability, Outstanding Professors and Researchers, Multinational Managers or Executives
  4. Selection from E2 Preference\
    [Professionals Holding Advanced Degrees and Persons of Exceptional Ability]
  5. Selection from E3 Preference
    [Skilled Workers, Professionals, and Unskilled Workers (Other Workers)]
  6. Selection from E4 Preference
    [Certain Special Immigrants]
  7. Selection from E5 Preference
    [ Immigrant Investors]
  8. Required Documentation
    Valid Passport
    Form DS-260
    Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration Application
    Two (2) 2×2 photographs
    Civil Documents for the applicant
    Financial Support
    Completed Medical Examination Forms + Vaccinations
  9. Visa Interview

How to obtain a Study & Exchange Visa from the U.S.?

Foreign Students and Exchange Visitors can obtain a Study or Exchange based U.S. Visa. This Nonimmigrant based Visa Category contains the following Visas. Student Visas (F,M), Exchange Visitor Visa (J) and the Visitor Visa (B).

Student Visa (F/M)

If you are planning to study in the United States, you need to have a Student Visa. The Type of school and the course you are going to study determine if you need an F Visa or M Visa.

F Visa Category is needed for the following School Types:

  • University or College
  • High School
  • Private Elementary School
  • Seminary
  • Conservatory
  • Academic Institution and Language Training Program

M Visa Category is needed for the following School Type:

  • Recognized Nonacademic Institution or Vocational

How to Apply for a U.S. Student Visa?

  • Apply for a SEVP-approved school in the U.S.
  • Pay the SEVIS Fee
  • Complete the Nonimmigrant Visa Application (Form DS-160)
  • Submit your Photo
  • Pay your Application Fees
  • Schedule an Interview
  • Attend your Visa Interview

Exchange Visitor Visa (J)

This Visa Category contains the Letter J. If you are planning to participate in a U.S. exchange visitor program you need to select from the following Categories.

  • Au pair and EduCare
  • Camp Counselor
  • Government Visitor
  • Intern
  • International Visitor (Dept. of State use)
  • Physician
  • Professor and Research Scholar
  • Short-term Scholar
  • Specialist
  • Student, college/university
  • Student, secondary
  • Summer Work Travel
  • Teacher
  • Trainee

What are the requirements for a U.S. Exchange Visitor Program Visa?

Every category has its own requirements. Every single J-Visa Category and it’s requirements can be found at the official U.S. Government Website

How to apply for a U.S. Exchange Visitor Program?

  • Application to an exchange visitor program through Sponsorship
  • Application Approval
  • Registration for the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS)
  • Pay the SEVIS Fees
  • Application for a Nonimmigrant Visa (Form DS-160)
  • Providing Photo (Photograph requirements have to be fulfilled)
  • Schedule an Interview
  • Pay the DS-160 Fees
  • Required Documents include Passport, DS-160 Form, Application Payment Receipt, Photo, Form DS-2019m Training or Internship Placement Plan (Form DS-7002)
  • Attend your Visa Interview

Other U.S. Visa Categories

  • Transit
  • Medical Treatment
  • Official Government Travel